Monday 16 September 2013

Walking in Wales – The Glyders Horseshoe

Audlem Ramblers – Saturday 14th September 2013

I wouldn't have attempted this by myself and therefore appreciated the opportunity to be 'led' by Will, a strong and experienced walker in the Snowdonia terrain.

We had a weather 'window' on the day and the three of us with Tony driving sped over to the visitors car park at Llyn Ogwen. This was a totally new area to me and what a delight I had in store.

Overall, I think we covered about 9+km (6 miles) though climbed – and descended – a majestic 1020m (3280 feet).

Setting off with the mist on the tops – heading for the gap

 
Glyder Fach in cloud

Yes, we climb up to the left, through the rock and scree
 
Tony climbing up
 
Looking back, down the valley
 
Audlem Ramblers
 
On top of Wales! The cantilever rock
Looking across to Snowdon
 
Wonderful views!
 
Heading down – over the edge?! 
A final view, back up to the horseshoe route – to Y Garn

We walked the three tops of Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr and Y Garn, all over 3000ft, with Glyder Fawr at an awesome 1001m (3284ft).

Just wonderful! Although I am rather stiff this morning!


No comments:

Post a Comment