Day 97 Coven to Autherley Junction, onto Little Onn - 13 miles 2 locks
Day 98 To Norbury Junction - 5.5 miles
Days 99 and 100 at Norbury Junction
We continued our cruise south along the Staffordshire and Worcestershire towards Autherley Junction. Here the original Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal joined from Nantwich in 1835. Both canals are now in the Canal and River Trust's hydrology unit for water supplies - both being fed by the BCN down from Wolverhampton and significantly by the sewerage works at Autherley Junction.
The weather stays kind though fleeces are needed at times. We stopped in the country at Little Onn on a rare deep edge and had our last bbq and a wood brazier to enjoy dusk.
On the Staffs and Worcs at Pendenford Narrows - having just entered we passed this boat that had waited
Looking back at the single width cut through the sandstone outcrop
Chris steers the boat clear of 'the narrows'!
Having turned north onto the Shroppie. Sitting in the Stop Lock No.1, looking back at the junction, bridge and finger post
Completed in 1835, the B'ham and Liverpool Junction Canal was engineered by Thomas Telford with 'modern' design principles of straight, wide sections - as seen here
Crossing the A5, the ornate Stretton Aqueduct - it could do with a paint!
BBQ and wood brazier
Encountering one of the familiar solid, high road bridges
Into Cowley Tunnel, through the sandstone ridge - 74m long
Looking back through Cowley Tunnel
The CRT Yard at Norbury Jnc - with work boats and materials ready for winter maintenance
nb Song of the Waterways - looking good!